Saturday, December 24, 2005

Welcome to HPI

Hi! I made this blog as an outlet for my fiction, which I've been neglecting. Lately, I find myself thinking about my patients, and their lives before coming to the hospital. In medical jargon, the preceding symptoms leading to the encounter between patient and physician is called the HPI, or history of present illness. It's a summary of the time course and symptoms the patient has been experiencing, and guides the physician in diagnosis.

In this case, however, it's a little piece of fiction inspired by my patients. Of course, I should note that none of this is true. The names and descriptions are all changed, and the diagnoses are different. And I've invented all the other details. There's no truth to these posts, so don't read too much into them. If it was true, then I'd get in all kinds of trouble, and the HIPAA police would come and get me.

No comments: